Matthew J. Matern, Founding Attorney
Mr. Matern is an employment law attorney and the founding attorney of Matern Law Group, PC.
He is an experienced employment law attorney and has over 25 years of experience as a trial lawyer.
Mr. Matern primarily represents employees in discrimination, harassment, and wage and hour class-action cases. He has represented clients in single-plaintiff and class action lawsuits in state and federal courts.
Mr. Matern has extensive experience litigating class actions involving claims for failure to pay proper overtime, failure to provide meal and rest breaks, misclassification, non-compliant wage statements, and other violations of California wage and hour laws. Mr. Matern has also successfully litigated cases involving claims for sexual and racial discrimination and harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination. Amongst his past successes, Mr. Matern led trial teams that won numerous trials:
- Ventura v. ABM – resulting in a judgment of over $1,000,000
- Fuentes v. Autozone – resulting in a judgment of over $1,000,000
- Barba v. Blue Boys – resulting in a $500,000 award for emotional distress and a $2 million award for punitive damages for two garment workers.
- Rick v. Foi – resulting in a judgement of over $500,000
In addition to leading a team of attorneys, Mr. Matern handles all aspects of civil litigation—from case inception, law and motion, discovery, settlement negotiations—through final resolution. Mr. Matern has served as lead attorney in class action lawsuits brought on behalf of thousands of employees and has recovered millions of dollars in settlements for his clients. He has obtained seven-figure judgments for his clients in both trials and arbitrations.
Mr. Matern also belongs to numerous organizations that protect employee and consumer rights.
Mr. Matern is committed to serving his community, whether it is through legal services or non-profit work. He founded The Satyagraha Foundation to support philanthropic collaboration in charitable, educational, environmental, religious, literary, and scientific endeavors. Reflecting Mr. Matern’s passion for social justice and assisting the vulnerable, The Satyagraha Foundation’s initial grants support organizations that serve the homeless community around Venice, CA.
Significant Verdicts and Settlements:
- A trial lawyer for over 25 years
- Has settled Wage and Hour cases for over $100,000,000
- Named as class counsel in over 15 State and Federal class action claims brought forth by clients.
- Awarded attorneys’ fees in an employment discrimination and sexual harassment arbitration in Los Angeles for a total of $1.4 million (with a 2.0 multiplier)
- Settled two particularly difficult and complex related cases in Los Angeles Superior Court for the same Plaintiff for a total of $13.6 million – one case for $11 million, and the second for $2.6 million
- Recently secured an arbitration award for $1.7 million in a sexual harassment case
- Led a trial team that won a sexual harassment trial with a $500,000 award for emotional distress and a $2 million award for punitive damages for two garment workers, plus a $950,000 award of attorneys’ fees
- Successfully represented plaintiffs in two significant trials, securing verdicts of $5.4 million and $700,000
- Won recent appellate victories, all of the following resulted in a published opinions:
- (Pantoja v. Anton) – Groundbreaking CA case on “me too” witnesses in sexual harassment and discrimination cases.
- (Fuentes v. AutoZone, Inc.) – Important CA case regarding what constitutes sexual harassment.
- (Ventura v. ABM Industries, Inc.) – First reported CA case using the Unruh Act to prosecute a sexual assault at work.
- (Julian v. Glenair, Inc.) – Precedent setting case on PAGA protecting employee rights to be paid properly
- (ABM Industries Overtime Cases) – Case that protected the rights of 55,000 janitors to be paid in accord with CA law.
- (Franco v. Athens Disposal Company, Inc.) – Leading case on class action waivers.
- (Pauley v. CF Entertainment)
- Settled numerous sexual harassment, wrongful termination, national origin, pregnancy, race, gender, religious discrimination and harassment cases in the six to seven-figure range.
J.D., Southwestern Law School, 1992
B.A., Tulane University, 1986
Admitted to Practice:
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
California Supreme Court
Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
Member, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
Southern California Super Lawyer 2009 – 2016