Matthew J. Matern, Founding Attorney
Mr. Matern is an employment law attorney and the founding attorney of Matern Law Group, PC.
He is an experienced employment law attorney and has over 20 years of experience as a trial lawyer.
Mr. Matern primarily represents employees in discrimination, harassment, and wage and hour class-action cases. He has represented clients in single-plaintiff and class action lawsuits in state and federal courts.
Mr. Matern has extensive experience litigating class actions involving claims for failure to pay proper overtime, failure to provide meal and rest breaks, misclassification, non-compliant wage statements, and other violations of California wage and hour laws. Mr. Matern has also successfully litigated cases involving claims for sexual and racial discrimination and harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination. Amongst his past successes, Mr. Matern led a trial team that won a sexual harassment trial resulting in a $500,000 award for emotional distress and a $2 million award for punitive damages for two garment workers.
In addition to leading a team of attorneys, Mr. Matern handles all aspects of civil litigation—from case inception, law and motion, discovery, settlement negotiations—through final resolution. Mr. Matern has served as lead attorney in class action lawsuits brought on behalf of thousands of employees and has recovered millions of dollars in settlements for his clients. He has obtained seven-figure judgments for his clients in both trials and arbitrations.
Mr. Matern also belongs to numerous organizations that protect employee and consumer rights.
J.D., Southwestern Law School, 1992
B.A., Tulane University, 1986
Admitted to Practice:
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States District Court, Southern District of California
United States District Court, Eastern District of California
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
Member, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
Southern California Super Lawyer 2009 – 2016
Significant Verdicts and Settlements:
- Awarded attorneys’ fees in a contentious employment discrimination arbitration in Los Angeles for a total of $1.4 million (with a 2.0 multiplier)
- Settled two particularly difficult and complex related cases in Los Angeles Superior Court for the same Plaintiff for a total of $13.6 million – one case for $11 million, and the second for $2.6 million
- Recently secured an arbitration award for $1.7 million in a sexual harassment case
- In the past year, settled eight different cases which each resulted in recoveries in excess of $1 million
- Led a trial team that won a sexual harassment trial with a $500,000 award for emotional distress and a $2 million award for punitive damages for two garment workers, plus a $950,000 award of attorneys’ fees
- In 2014, won three class certification motions, one of which was in Federal Court where the court certified a class of 1,350 employees who were forced to work off-the-clock
- In 2014, successfully represented plaintiffs in two significant trials, securing verdicts of $5.4 million and $700,000
- In 2009, won an appellate victory which resulted in a published opinion (Franco v. Athens Disposal Company, Inc. )
- Won two recent appellate victories, one of which resulted in a published opinion (Gutierrez v. California Commerce Club, Inc. )
- Over the course of his career, obtained many class action settlements in the $2-7 million dollar range, and has recovered over $20 million in wages for clients in wage and hour class action cases
- Settled numerous sexual harassment, wrongful termination, national origin, pregnancy, race, gender, religious discrimination and harassment cases in the six to seven-figure range
Page also available in: Spanish